02 December 2021

"Think Richer!" My Slogan In My Pursuit Of Regenerative Agriculture For PH

"Think Richer!” I now have a slogan for Regenerative Agriculture (RegenA) according to how I understand it!

Truth be told, I just submitted an hour or so ago a shorter version of that – “Think Rich!” – as a slogan for the Sustainable Development Movement initiated by forester June AV Revilla on Facebook. Then, lying on bed this early evening, I just had an epiphany: That slogan fits exactly regenA if I wanted to explore and explain it more and more! I was going to withdraw my proposed slogan because I have a better use for it. Then I just had another epiphany: “Think Richer!” I love that even more.

Also today, Wednesday, 01 Dec 2021, I created a new blog, Communication For Village Development 21 (to visit, click this link: CoVID21). This is actually an upgrading of my 3-year old blog “Communication for Development (ComDev),” the name of the concept dating back to December 1980 as published in the quarterly popular magazine Habitatof the Forest Research Institute, of which I was the Editor In Chief. ComDevwas intentionally a reverse name for “Development Communication” (DevCom), the concept of UPLB Professor Nora Quebral, which neither proposed nor produced articles clearly advocating agricultural development.

The new and longer name of my blog makes clear the over-all goal of my blogging: village development. The slogan is the same: “It takes a viral village to develop a country!”

In the image above, with a strong ray of sun striking the water, the arms are those of my wife Amparoat the Amancio Farm & Hotel in Cordon, Isabela when she, I and our youngest daughter Graciela visited the 60-ha hilly farm 3rd week of June 2018, courtesy of the owner-manager, Noemi Liangco.

Now that I look at my lake-farm image above again (taken 21-06-2018), I see it as a beautiful place that was already trying to practice regenerative agriculture without realizing it! The term was coined and the concept was explained by Robert Rodale in 1983 (Ken E Gilleret al, “Regenerative Agriculture: An Agronomic Perspective[1],Outlook In Agriculture 50:1):

Robert Rodale (1983) defined Regenerative Agriculture as “one that, at increasing levels of productivity, increases our land and soil biological production base. It has a high level of built-in economic and biological stability. It has minimal to no impact on the environment beyond the farm or field boundaries. It produces foodstuffs free from biocides. It provides for the productive contribution of increasingly large numbers of people during a transition to minimal reliance on non-renewable resources.

Back to the image above: I realize today that Ms Noemi has somehow been practicing the beginnings of regenerative agriculture without realizing it – I see that only now, 3 years later. With giant machines, among other land efforts she had a few holes dug that each now looks like a lake and provides not only irrigation to the crops grown but also fish raised in rainwater-fed ponds, plural.

She was into organic agriculture, and used no chemicals. Good beginnings for regenerative agriculture.@517



[1]https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0030727021998063

No comments:

Post a Comment

Watching Germanwatch watching Climate Change within countries of the world – unfortunately, it’s watching Effects , not Causes . Not how ...