18 December 2021

The Kyoto Protocol Is Ignoring What Exactly? Time To Change Climate Change!

Here is a different kind of play of words – actually, I am playing with ideas that populate the world beneath our feet.

What day is today, just as writing a book on Regenerative Agriculture (RA) is again in my thoughts? It’s Saturday, 11 Dec 2021. I decide on my big, bold, gold? book on RA because I see it as a major force in the fight against Climate Change – subject which surprisingly the United Nations has not yet fully grasped! It just happened that it was 11 Dec 1997 when the Kyoto Protocol was adopted. Note, the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Changeonly asks those countries to adopt policies and measures on mitigation (my underline) and to report periodically[1] (Unfcc.net); read carefully:

The Kyoto Protocol operationalizes the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change by committing industrialized countries and economies in transition to limit and reduce greenhouse gases (GHG) emissions in accordance with agreed individual targets. The Convention itself only asks those countries to adopt policies and measures on mitigation and to report periodically.
(“Kyoto Protocol” main imag
e[2] from Sabrangindia.in)

Oh my God! This UN body is intensely looking after mitigationand innocently ignoring adaptation?!

Here’s my view:
Adaptation is preparation before expected climate destruction.
Mitigation is reparation after actual climate destruction.
The climate change responses of the Department of Agriculture (DA) must cover both, not simply the visible – the destruction.
(Above, AdapTriumph-MitigatEndure imag
e[3] from my essay, “Frank’s Vocabulary Of Climate Change,” 12 Aug 2010, A Magazine Called Love, Blogspot.com).

Adaptation: Before the next cropping season, picture the DA assisting farmers in planting flood-resistant rice varieties, so that their crop will still yield the farmers their due despite a flooding.

Mitigation: After a devastating flood or drought, picture the DA asking farmers in a municipality to form a cooperative, via which the farmers are awarded all kinds of assistances such as loans, seeds, fertilizers, tools, machines, even a storage house.

As I was saying before I interrupted myself, I am going to write a book to help farmers here and abroad come to terms with climate change – via the science of regenerative agriculture. The concept of which, as the title of my blog says, I express in the acronym RegINARegenerative from Inspiring, Intelligent, Information-Intense, Insightful Nature-Nuanced, Applicable Agriculture. “RegINA” also is short for “Regal INA,” where INA means, in Ilocano, “Big Mother.” That is why the complete name of my blog is RegINA, Queen Mother Earth.

Yes, I said I am going to write a book on RegINA:

Now, where does Regenerative Agriculture begin?

Says the Climate Reality Project[4] (Climaterealityproject.org):

In short, regenerative agriculture is a system of farming principles and practices that seeks to rehabilitate and enhance the entire ecosystem of the farm by placing a heavy premium on soil health…

First things first. I mean, I will not begin by simply “placing a heavy premium on soil health” – I will begin by making the soil healthy! “Health requires healthy food” – Roger Williams. First comes first!@517



[1]https://unfccc.int/kyoto_protocol

[2]https://www.sabrangindia.in/article/why-india-must-ratify-doha-amendment-kyoto-protocol-pre-2020-period-make-commitment-climate

[3]http://amagazinecalledlove.blogspot.com/2010/08/franks-vocabulary-of-climate-change-v10.html

[4]https://www.climaterealityproject.org/blog/what-regenerative-agriculture

No comments:

Post a Comment

Watching Germanwatch watching Climate Change within countries of the world – unfortunately, it’s watching Effects , not Causes . Not how ...